We are so honored to be close to the great town of Duluth, which is so full of history, small mom and pop shops and fun things to do outside. We love telling our visitors at Island View Resort about all of the things to do in Duluth, just a short drive away.
When it comes to vacation, it’s important to remain flexible but have some sort of plan so you don’t forget to stop by any of the great attractions available to you. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite things to do in Duluth MN along with driving times from our resort to each one. That way, you can easily plan your stay with us.
And we’ll keep this list of things to do in Duluth friendly to all seasons! Many of these attractions are available for your enjoyment no matter if you go in the dead of winter or in the heat of the summer. Explore our website for other Lake Superior things to do.
- Lake Superior Zoo – This zoo started in 1932 when a Duluth resident got permission to create a pen for his pet deer. Since then it’s grown to an amazing zoo full of fun activities and events for young ones and families. Driving time: 32 mins
- Breweries – Craft beer has certainly rocked the nation over the last several years, and visiting breweries over bars has become commonplace for many people. Recently ranked number three by SmartAssets’ Best Cities for Beer Drinkers in 2017, Duluth is no exception. There are just too many great breweries to choose from, so we’ll take this opportunity to point you to the Duluth Beer Trail to help you plan a full day of brewery hopping or an evening of drinks after a day of exploring the great outdoors. Driving time depends on the brewery.
- Spirit Mountain – Of course this state of the art ski mountain would be a great option for something fun to do in the winter, but even during the summer there’s a hub of activity there thanks to the exciting adventure park! The park has an elevated track for coaster racing as well as plenty of mountain biking trails. Driving time: 36 mins
- William S. Irvin – Take a tour of the S.S. William S. Irvin, the U.S. Steel’s Great Lakes Fleet flagship. For 40 years the ship carried iron ore and coal through the many treacherous storms Lake Superior sees. Plus, the views are great! Driving time: 26 mins
- Great Lakes Aquarium – If you’re in Duluth, a must-do is seeing the largest freshwater aquarium in the United States. This aquarium features fish and critters found in Lake Superior and around the Great Lakes Basin and features a number of weekly and monthly events. Driving time: 26 mins
- Fitger’s Mall – Let us be clear, this is not your average mall. Located in a gorgeous historic building sure to make an architect buff’s knees weak, you’ll find a lot of unique shops rather than chains, as well as delicious restaurants and breweries. Driving time: 26 mins
- Duluth Entertainment Convention Center – In particular, we’d like to point you to the movie theater! This is a great option for days when the weather is a bit lackluster, or just when you’re looking to lose yourself in a new flick. The center is located right on Lake Superior as well, so the views are breathtaking. Driving time: 26 mins
- Lake Superior Railroad Museum – In 1910, Duluth’s railroad activity was chaotic, with seven railroads dispatching over 50 trains daily from Duluth to all over the nation. The last train left the station in 1969, and since then the building has housed the historical museum. Head there to take a trip through time. Driving time: 28 mins
- Adventure Zone – Perfect for families with kids! Located right in Duluth’s gorgeous Canal Park, Adventure Zone Duluth offers batting cages, mini golf, rock climbing, an arcade and more. Driving time: 26 mins
- Amsoil Arena – Head here during the winter to catch a Bulldogs hockey game, or keep your eye out for the many great concerts and events hosted in the space. Driving time: 26 mins